The Million Balloon March Would Like To Thank Our 2013 Event Sponsors: THe Children's Chariot foundation, Hot Head Records Foundation, Mighty Kids DoSomething.Org Club, Ms Toya Tiffany/LTR Unlimited, DJ Hunid Racks, Naked Juice, Izze (by Pepsi), BBG BMX, Freestyle Force, Mass Motion Dance Academy & Bosma Dance Project, Boston's Chocolate Walking Tours ThePinkBlogger.Com, Sweet Tomatoes Pizza, Citizen's Bank, Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., HotHead Magazine, Granite LLC, Platinum Limos LLC, Liberty School Butterfly Farm & Gardens, The Chicken & Rice Guys, Boston Skyzone, TLZ Photography, Arts Boston...

Monday, December 31, 2012

I Am Beautiful: How to Raise Girls with Self-Esteem


A story I've found on Babble.com, for all of you beautiful mothers & daughters-PnKB




"This article on offbeatfamilies.com really hit me squarely in the solar plexus. Amanda, the writer of "I've Started Telling My Daughter I'm Beautiful" nails it with the paragraph below:

I don't want my girls to be children who are perfect and then, when they start to feel like women, they remember how I thought of myself as ugly and so they will be ugly too. They will get older and their breasts will lose their shape and they will hate their bodies, because that's what women do. That's what mommy did. I want them to become women who remember me modeling impossible beauty. Modeling beauty in the face of a mean world, a scary world, a world where we don't know what to make of ourselves.

"Look at me, girls!" I say to them. "Look at how beautiful I am. I feel really beautiful, today."

My daughter comes from me. Her flesh and bone is from my flesh and bone. Her DNA is from my DNA. My wrinkles will someday be her wrinkles. My sagging boobs will someday be her sagging boobs. And so, to deny my beauty is to deny her beauty for the rest of her life. She already knows how beautiful I am. And her current definition of my beauty is the true definition of beauty. I only need to confirm it for her in my words and actions.

I am beautiful, child. This stomach full of stretch marks and weird wrinkles is beautiful because it reminds me of you. These crow's feet tracking around my eyes are beautiful because they are the result of laughing so hard at your antics.

And maybe treating myself gently so as to influence my daughter will, in turn, influence me. As Amanda from offbeatfamilies.com writes, "I'll be what they see. They see me through eyes of love."
I will be beautiful for my daughter. I am beautiful. "

-Monica Bielanko
Follow Monica on Babble.Com

Click HERE for the full story

No comments: